On 12/25/2015 11:05 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> The bridge rectifier is connected to 120v so no transformer is
>> there... not sure how it gets 190vdc out of 120vac but it does. Now to
>> find some fuses for it... may be Tuesday before I can use that.
> That is a puzzle John, the best DC I can get out of that with kcalc,
> assuming a perfect bridge rectifier feeding a capacitor input filter is
> 179 volts & change.  Assuming a 127 volt, more or less standard AC input
> that is.

A transformer's output voltage is rated at the rated load. If you are
not loading the transformer at the rated power, then you will usually
see between 10% and 30% higher output voltage. The amount of increase
depends on the quality of the transformer.

So, the DC conversion at (almost) no load will be between 120 * sqrt(2)
* 1.1 = 186V and 120 * sqrt(2) * 1.3 = 220V. Taking account for a 2..3V
droop at the bridge-rectifier would mean anything between 183...217V
would be quite normal at 120V AC input.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)