The AC voltage we talk about is called an RMS or Root Mean Square voltage.

For example 10VDC across a 10 Ohm resistor results in 1A DC current.  The
resistor will dissipate 10W  (IxV).

The RMS AC voltage is the equivalent to the DC voltage for power
calculations.  So 10VAC across the 10 Ohm resistor will also result in 1A
RMS.  But the power will be 10W.  Really handy to know that for choosing the
wattage of the power resistor.

But because the AC varies, it's both below, down to 0 and above, up to the
peak value.  The peak is calculated by multiplying the RMS value by the
square root of 2 or 1.414;  120V x 1.414 = 170V peak.  Given that the AC
line can surge up as high as 135V you have to design for 135 x 1.414 = 190V.

John Dammeyer