On 12/28/2015 04:25 AM, Dave Cole wrote:
[snip]
> I do a lot of machine wiring and I was redoing a machine for a major
> electrical manufacturer in the US (although this particular plant does
> hydraulics)
> and the plant maintenance nitwits tied a relay coil between a 480 volt
> hot leg and the protective ground because they did not have a neutral in
> the control cabinet and they had a 277 volt relay!  8-O
>
> I ripped out the added "circuitry" and wrote a note to the maintenance
> mgr and explained that if the protective ground wire had became
> disconnected from the power feed that the machine frame would become hot
> to ground through the 277 volt relay coil!

Oh boy! Some never learn how this stuff works and how dangerous it can be.

For that matter; I learned, many many years ago, that the protective
ground (or "earth" as it is called here) is the first pin/wire that must
be connected and the last that is disconnected. Specifically with
disconnection it is regardless whether it is a connector or cable you
are pulling, the protection must always be the last to go.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)