Well, if you ran a neutral to the BP what would you use it for ??  :-)

It isn't required by the NEC.

What you can't do is to tie a 120 VAC load between a hot wire and the
protective ground (which JT is not doing ).

I do a lot of machine wiring and I was redoing a machine for a major
electrical manufacturer in the US (although this particular plant does
hydraulics)
and the plant maintenance nitwits tied a relay coil between a 480 volt
hot leg and the protective ground because they did not have a neutral in
the control cabinet and they had a 277 volt relay!  8-O

I ripped out the added "circuitry" and wrote a note to the maintenance
mgr and explained that if the protective ground wire had became
disconnected from the power feed that the machine frame would become hot
to ground through the 277 volt relay coil!

Dave