On 01/31/2016 11:10 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
> In Canada we pay in Canadian dollars and the prices of the parts are
> suitably inflated past just the exchange rate.  There is no minimum and
> shipping is a flat $8.  I'm on Vancouver Island and FedEx delivers the
> Digikey stuff overnight unless there's been some sort of weather delay.
> There is no shipping charge if the order is over $200.
HUH!  I always have to pay for shipping, and I recently made
a $2800 order from Digi-Key.
I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

> Digikey also has a really good service that puts any quantity onto a reel
> for an extra charge; called a digi-reel.  If I'm making 100 pieces a product
> and I need 3 of a particular capacitor I can order 320 devices on a reel
> instead of 3000 pieces.  My Pick and Place supplier likes it.  No screwing
> around with strips of 50 or 100 where the first 25 have to be discarded for
> the leader.  I like it because there's less effort in manufacturing and I'm
> usually left with a few parts for the next prototype.

The Digi-reel adds $7 to the cost of the parts.  One
advantage of my Philips CSM-84 is the feeders don't require
and trailer and you can thread them (without Digi-reel or
anything special) with just a little fiddling so you only
lose 2 parts.  Once threaded, you splice the cover tape with
masking tape to a piece of old cover tape you have kept in
reserve.  I'd really have a problem with dumping 25 parts of
each type when threading the machine!

Some other outfits splice leader to the tapes, and I usually
end up just ripping them off, as they put this brass
perforated splice thing over the sprocket holes, and it is
so much thicker than the tape that it won't feed.

Jon