On Sunday 31 January 2016 18:51:22 John Kasunich wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016, at 06:18 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 31 January 2016 13:43:50 Jon Elson wrote:
> > > I can't imagine why you'd buy commodity semis from a Chinese
> > > source when there are great distributors like Digi-Key and
> > > Mouser, that are quite happy to serve small orders.
> >
> > Both of the above have minimum orders for me that are quite costly
> > for a 10 pak of anything in the transistor 10 cent to 5 dollar price
> > range. That and their sites search engines return what looks to me
> > to be random from dice throws results.  If I go searching for small
> > hexfets I get 20,000 hits, none of which give me the data to make a
> > choice semi-intelligently.  Digikey is slightly better, but not
> > enough to spend hours  wading thru the selections while still hiding
> > the important data. More often than not, clicking on a fine tune
> > option, such as any case smaller than a to-220 returns zero results
> > and I know that there are smaller versions such as could drive an
> > ice cube relay at 12 or 24 volts.  That can be easily put in a
> > to-92, or even in a SMD package, so why can't it be found?
>
> I find this rather confusing.  Mouser is meh, but IMHO Digikey's
> search engine is simply outstanding.  For example:
>
> I type MOSFET into the search box.  It returns a list of categories.
> I pick "FETS - Single".  It returns a list of 39000+ parts.
> I click the "In stock" box and "apply filters".  List is now 17,999
> parts. Scroll over to "Mounting Type", select "Thru hole" and apply
> filters.  3293 parts. Scroll over to "Supplier Device Package" and
> select the four TO-92 variants (ctrl-click for multiple selections).
> Apply filters, 123 parts. Under packaging, select "Bulk" and "Cut
> tape", (the other variants are for large quantities).  Apply filters,
> down to 106.
> Select 40 to 100V in the drain-to-source voltage box, down to 59.
> Select all the sub-1-ohm ones in the Rds-on box, down to 7.
> Put "1" in the desired quantity box.  Hit the up arrow in the price
> column to sort cheapest first (giving a quantity moves anything with a
> minimum order larger than that quantity items to the bottom of the
> list). Cheapest part is at the top of the list, MicroChip TN0604N3-G.
> Click on the PDF icon in the 2nd column and I'm looking at a data
> sheet. Click on the links in the 4th or 5th column and I'm looking at
> the details page for that part.  Add 1 to cart.  Place order.  There
> is no minimum total order (although it sucks to spend $6 on shipping
> when you are ordering a $1 part).
>
> It took me less time to find that part than it took to type out what I
> did.
>
> Digikey is absolutely my first stop for just about any part, both for
> hobby stuff and for my day job.  Like McMaster, their prices may
> be a bit higher than some other sources, but usually not enough to
> matter, and the search engine more than makes up for it.
>
> John Kasunich
>
>   John Kasunich
> [...]

That, John, sounds like a heck of an improvement over it from the last
time I tangled with it.  Obviously the coders have been busy. I will
take another look as my last one was 4 or 5 years ago.  The user
interface was ok, but it just didn't work then.

And it will be intersting to see what the minimum order for private sales
in now, then it was 50 dollars.

I bought a lot of stuff from them in the name of the tv station, but
usually in qty's enough that the minimum didn't apply, and since we had
a tax number, it was only 20 dollars IIRC.  But they couldn't match,
either price or physical size, the 1 lb coffee cans full of small
electrolytic caps used in Panasonics own DVC-PRO digital VCR's. I'm not
kidding, there are still 3 of those cans on a high shelf in the shop
area at the tv station, all surface mount and rarely bigger than the
eraser on a #2 yellow pencil.

Cast iron bitch to change the next one when you already changed 75 of
them in one machine that day & you've still got 5 more logic boards to
go.  Part of the reason I retired when I did.  My back was even then
giving me hell from sitting long hours hunched over & staring at the
boards in a lighted magnifying lens.