A post on this page:
http://yarchive.net/metal/artillery_thread.html

says:

In full size practice the male and female threads are SCREWCUT (not Milled) on
specially adapted, relieving lathes with an interrupted indexing motion.  This
usually takes the form of a special, heavy duty, "geneva" type motion.
Contemporary accounts speak of "great crashings and bangings and sudden
shuddering stops" accompanied by a tool point that moves in and out, under cam
control, to cut the various thread diameters.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 04:35 PM, John Kasunich wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 04:18 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> > Maybe I should have been more explicit about the question...
> >
> > How do you machine an internal part-thread that ends hard against a
> > shoulder?
> >

> Very carefully :-)
>
> This pic
> http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/PAGE_56_Figure_5B10_C.JPG
> shows that there was a bit of a relief groove.  Cutting speeds in those
> days were slower (no carbide).  They may have simply run the parts
> slow enough that a rapid-retract toolholder could pull clear in the time
> it took to travel the width of that groove.
>

>   John Kasunich
>   jmkasun...@fastmail.fm

  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm