On Monday 08 February 2016 08:39:10 Marcus Bowman wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2016, at 12:49, Peter Blodow wrote:
> > In other words, you pretend to cut a left-hand thread but have the
> > machine run in reverse so it turns out right hand?
> > Peter Blodow
>
> Yes; kind of.... I prefer to think of it as cutting a right hand
> thread upside down (or is that inside out?). There are four factors:
> spindle speed, direction of feed, tool upright or inverted, and tool
> facing the front wall or the rear wall. Where the tool must traverse
> out of the hole and the blind end is at the spindle end, the ones that
> work for me are:
> spindle reversed and feed towards the tailstock; and
> [tool upright, facing the front] or [tool inverted, facing the rear]
>
> If you use a thread mill it just takes the place of the single point
> tool, but mills (or flycuts, essentially) rather than forming the
> flanks with a stationary tool. Unless you have the kind of giant tool
> arrangement mentioned in John Thornton's post. The mind boggles.
>
> Marcus

Mine did, looking at that pix with the stepped thread diameters. Where
the rotation to disengage was like 45 degrees to gain removal clearance,
but obviously had nearly 100% thread engagement when inserted and turned
to hit the stops. The only way I can visualize that would be by
broaching the stop shoulders, then cutting in reverse, with the tool
facing to the back wall and both the broach width and the tools vertical
measurement such that it could be brought into contact with the bottom
of the broach cut.  But unless all the various sizes and depths of
broaching was done prior to starting the threading, I haven't a clue
what would be done with the chip at the end of each segment cut.

I seems to me the best way to do the broaching and boring would be on a
shaper with a rotating workpiece holder.  By that means it seems to me
one could get an 85 to 90% thread engagement.

But even then I'm not convinced I'd want the job of writing the gcode for
either machine.  The spindle it seems must have both a super low gear
ratio, and an encoder measuring its rotation in arc-seconds.

One question remains:  Does the thread even have to have a spiral
component, eg does it need to actually advance into the hole as it
turns?  Common sense says it should, in order to achieve a gas tight
seal against a shoulder at the bottom of the bore.  OTOH, with a shell
casing supplying the breach seal as modern bolt rifles do, if the
headspace when closed is tight enough to prevent a casing head
separation, the need for the spiraling thread is removed.  I have rifles
in the cabinet of either persuasion, and most of the more modern rifles
have zero spiral to the lugs as they rotate into engagement with the
action.

I changed a remi 788 in 22-250 action out for a Howa 1500 a few years
ago, and there was just enough of a headspace problem that feeding it
shells loaded for the remi that I was forced to stone a ramp of about 5
thou on the leading edge of the lugs  so that a case whose shoulder had
been stretched forward to fit the remi's extremely sloppy chambering,
could with quite a bit of effort on the bolt handle, be crushed a thou
or so as the bolt was closed.  It could then be fired normally and IIRC
I turned the die in another 2 degrees to push the shoulder back where it
belonged for the next reload.

Provided I couldn't detect a groove from previous stretching in the
remi's action with a bent paper clip inserted. Case to scrap bin in that
event of course.  That stretching, and the short case life of only 3 to
4 reloads was the reason the remi action was removed from my cabinet.
With the locking lugs at the rear of the bolt and in the back ring of
the action, case stretch was nominally 13 thou from pulling the trigger,
and because the remi chamber was so fat & sloppy, a std Bonanza Bench
Rest Coax die, stretched it another 18 thou in bringing it back down in
diameter to fit a std SAAMI chamber. The brass has to go someplace...

OTOH, a 50 year older P17 can happily crush a case thats 10 thou long as
it closes, there is that much of a ramp on the lugs. I  haven't pushed a
shoulder back it the about 10k rounds I've fed it in the last 50 years.
And cases last until the primer pockets get sloppy, 20 to 40 reloads per
case, whats not to love about that?  Since its chambered for the 40
degree shoulder angle of the P.O.Ackley chamber, you KNOW from the
presses complaints when you are pushing the shoulder back.

That experince with the 788 was the end of me being a fan of remi, that
was handed back to remi with a fat chamber complaint when it had less
than 40 rounds of factory ammo fired on it, and remi said it was within
specs & refused to rebarrel it. It was an 8 or 12 groove "micro-groove"
barrel, and with reloads going 200 fps slower than factory, it put the
first bullet thru the target sideways at about 350 rounds. remi said
reloads, no warranty, so I had a Shilen barrel put in it, but even
Shilens legendary accuracy wasn't to be found.  Best group ever was over
3/4" with most in the 1.5" range. So I finally threw money at it and
reworked the wood for a Howa action.  First group was 3/4".  Nuff said.

I'll have to admit, this sure seems like a brain exerciser. And I am not
convinced I've solved it, as I didn't see any signs of broaching in the
one pix supplied of the multi-diameter thread.  And that IS a puzzle.
EDM perhaps?