> Preempt-RT will be mainlined into stock linux fairly soon now so its just
> becomes a kernel config option but I doubt real time kernels will ever be
> standard for common desktop distributions as they typically have
> lower performance (excluding latency)  than non RT kernels

There exist natural real time tasks like serial receive buffers in Linux. Then
I started to work a few years ago programming an 8-bit micro controller they
did not have nested interrupts with priority while some of the new ARM cortex-*
CPUs used in many micro controllers have today.

To put it another way: With priorities handled correct for interrupts all work
appropiate for this priority level could be done within interrupt handler. Old
style without priority is to exit interrupt handler as soon as possible which
still may hold off higher priority tasks and shuffle away work until later but
then should it be done?

Nicklas Karlsson