On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 12:10 AM, Nicklas Karlsson <
nicklas.karlsso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I am thinking about split in two with real time threads on micro
> > > controller and the computer for the user interface. It would also be a
> > > flexible solution then it come to choice of user interface but require
> > > extra hardware.
> > >

> > If I were designing this in the current century (the 21st) I'd divide the
> > functions roughly in to three (not two) and place them as follows
> > 1) "Hard" real time functions, on a small micro processor not running any
> > OS.  Maybe something like an ARM  I'd like size the uP so that it could
> > handle four axis and use multiple uP if more axis were needed
>
> Yes
>
> > 2) The user interface _managment_ and higher level non-real time
> functions
> > on a generic "Posix" platform (written in a portable high level language)
> >  This could be a PC, Mac, Linux/86, LinuxARM)
>
> Yes

How to connect the little uP to the larger computer?  WiFi?  Will the uP
run some OS?
Take a look at the RISC OS for ARM.  It uses "cooperative multitasking"
which means your task runs on the bare hardware with interrupts disabled if
you like
"eCos" might be better.

Could this little uP running (say) eCos actually be a soft-core CPU
implemented inside an FPGA?  That runs the cost up but gives access to
nearly unlimited hardware support for pulse generation and even directly
doing micro stepping.

> > 3) Rendering of the GUI, that is driving the actual screen and
> > mouse/keyboard.  This would be web-abased and like targeted to a mobile
> > device like a cheep $100 Android but of course could run on the same
> > machine as #2 above.
>
> Then linuxcnc is split in two as in 1) and 2) above it is more or less
> done, Why not gtk as now?

1) Because it will not be long before someone wants to re-build the PC part
on (say) an iPhone.  Why not?  Why even use a PC at all?
2) A mouse is hard to use in a shop environment while standing up.  The
glass touch screen works better.  Should at least preserve the option in
the future to use a glass touch screen and multi touch gestures
3) does GTK run on all the platforms users might want to run on.   You know
the first platform to be requested is the Raspberry Pi3.  Then if it runs
on that ARM based system why not the iPad?  In 5 years all home computers
will have touch screens like the "surface" and all but server class
machines may be running on ARM not Intel.
4) 3D touch is becoming popular and may go mainstream.  Will GTK do 3D
touch?  It would be a nice feature you look at a "cut through" of a 3D part
you are making and the pressure of your finger changes the z-axis cut
plane.  Or in a simulation pressure moves the time line or the speed of the
simulation.   People's expectations are moving and a 1990's style GIU will
look silly in the 2020's (which are only four years away.  Pick something
that will still be cutting edge in 2020.

> > Another words just as you said except I'd drive the screen with some kind
> > of network protocol (like HTML or whatever) that would be wireless if the
> > user  prefers that.
>
> On Linux there are X11 but I expect there would be a special purpose
> protocol between GUI and machine. In practice which buttons user pressed
> and values back.
>
> So yo are going to update the protocol every time you update the GUI?
Use something that already exists.   HTML5 might work

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California