On 03/22/2016 11:15 AM, bari wrote:
>>> How real time do you want the GUI? Is a few second lag behind the
>>> machines state ok? How about E-stop or Start/Stop from the UI? What's
>>> safe? 1 second max, 10 seconds? If you are milling while at the beach
>>> miles away does it matter? What problem are we solving?
>> E-stop should be handled with a hardware approach.
> But if my phone has the GUI and I'm at the beach do I need to run an
> extra pair of conductors back to the machine?

If you want to do it right, then yes, you need to run a few extra wires
to your phone. And then some current-loop to ensure that your long
running wires are still working.

The whole point of an emergency stop is that it is virtually impossible
not to work. It must really work in an emergency, not just when you
happen to have a network connection...

Wires and real switches are still several orders of magnitude more
reliable than the best wireless network. Even wired networks are not as
reliable because there are so many intermediate levels that can fail.
Making a "fail-safe" system is a hard job, and using physical wires and
switches is still the best way.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)