On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 04:51:39PM +0000, Ralph Stirling wrote:
> The MachineKit folk are a year or two ahead of you guys
> in thinking about the distributed control approach.
[snip]

The original "NIST EMC", a distant ancestor of LinuxCNC, already had a
distributed control approach with NML-over-TCP ten years ago.  This was
never widely used among LinuxCNC users, and we know that it is entirely
broken in the 2.7 release due to the way we improved behavior with
multiple (local) user interface programs.  We would still be happy to
accept patches that make NML-over-TCP work again.

More background:
https://sourceforge.net/p/emc/bugs/328/
http://mid.gmane.org/20141024221851.GB54584%40unpythonic.net

There is also a test of nml-over-tcp in the branch
"[origin/]jepler/test-nml-over-tcp".  This branch also contains a fix of
(some) 64-bit problems in the code, but it is missing a fix for the
reliable command reception code that was added in linuxcnc 2.7.

Jeff