On 05/06/2016 01:55 AM, Danny Miller wrote:
> I understand the computational requirements are not stressful, but I
> know some have management issues.
>
> Right now I have a old Dell computer with one of the chipsets
> specifically listed as "bad".  I'm running Linux RT and LinuxCNC 2.7.4
> with a 7i92 card but the latency report is pretty high.  I don't have
> any love for this PC anyhow.  Had it crash once, may be going south
> anyhow.   Wanna get a small SSHD too.

You don't say what model.  I've had really good luck with
Dell Optiplex GX260 and GX270 machines here that are quite
good.  They are a bit old, now, however.  I use them with
hardware motion controls, so the latency is not so critical
as for software step generation.  Note that these Optiplex
models come in 3 sizes.  SFF is very compact, but uses a
laptop-style CD reader and only one spot for hard drive.
The mini-tower is a bit bigger inside and has room for a
little expansion, and then there's the full-size tower, but
those may be rare versions.

Jon