On Saturday 13 August 2016 15:18:51 Ken Strauss wrote:

> Any idea what the "magic" combination for the switch contacts that he
> mentions on his website is?
Mach may have a different format, and is crippled by the lags in its usb
interfacing.  For linuxcnc, which can, even in sw, register a hit in
well under 50 u-secs, has no such problems.

Hook it up to where ever you have the probe input for the G38.2 etc
connected in your hal file.

One of my machines has a 5i25 card, and that logic connection is:

GO704fast.hal:net probe.sense               hm2_5i25.0.gpio.003.in_not
motion.probe-input # signal source is p3-15
(all one line above)

Another, using the parport and software stepping is:
my-mill-atom-3.hal:net  probe           parport.0.pin-15-in-not =>
motion.probe-input

You may or may not need the '-not'.  Both of those inputs here have a
pullup resistor in the 5k to 10k range pulling to 5 volts when the probe
is not making contact with a grounded object. Also a smallish tantalum
capacitor is used to store a momentary contact long enough that it
registers to linuxcnc on the first contact of a spinning object, it
improved the center of the hole repeatability by about an order of
magnitude, so that whatever error is left is lost in the backlash comp.

This probe, which may have a separate logic supply, in which case feed it
some 5 volts and ground, meaning there is a possibility its logic output
is upside down.  Using a halmeter, watching motion.probe-input, which
should be false when its not touching anything, and true if you deflect
it with a finger.  Adjust your use of -not accordingly.