On Tuesday 16 August 2016 13:54:48 andy pugh wrote:

> On 16 August 2016 at 18:21, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > There's only one problem, the Z screw, if mounted where the old on
> > is, will be nearly 3.5 inches from the back face, so I'll have to
> > make a big long pad for the Z nut to interface with it.
>
> Have you considered having a casting made? You seem to enjoy
> woodworking, so pattern making shouldn't be too hard for you.

The local casting shop seems to be using machined alu forms, and I have
seen no evidence they can take a pattern & do all the work to make it
sand castable. I haven't toured the whole place, so I've not seen the
furnace, just the casting finishing.  Wheels hubs for IH & I believe
White truck tractors.

I got the apron cut out of the main sheet, then went out to get the
verdict on my weed eater, which is that it will need a whole new
cylinder, piston and rings.  Fred looked it up, and mine is 7 yo, so its
2 years out of warranty.  He had some used Stihls he had rebuilt and
offered a straight across trade for mine, take it home & try it. Nearly
finished knocking the place down, but I don't like the small spool and
steel cord re-enforced line, its a round cross section and bounces off
the grass, running 2" above a straight out stand unless its wound up
pretty tight for rpms. I'll keep it if we can put my spool on it, which
is loaded with an even thicker, square, all plastic line that cuts much
better as it cuts where you point it instead of 1 to 3" higher.

But after that, my clothes have been condemned to the dirty clothes bin
and I need a shower, bad.  Whats left I can finish tommorrow in 20
minutes run time.  I the meantime I'll see about getting this plate
mounted of the G0704 & the edges cleaned up and a cutaway for the
crossfeed in the center of the top edge.  Good place for a home switch
too.

I see nut carriers and spacers can be had on ebay, but I think I'd have
to stack the spacers somehow.  Getting it screwed down so I can take
some measurements for Z screw separation is in order after I cut the
slot for the x motor to live in.