i tend to use aluminium forms when i need to make hundereds and that when
some tollerance of fit is needed
more for robustnes , wooden forms are fine for one offs , but the newer
composite form material it's easier to form by cnc
and quicker than using wood and then treating the forms with resin or
filler and sanding etc .

On 17 August 2016 at 10:29, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 August 2016 at 23:49, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > The local casting shop seems to be using machined alu forms, and I have
> > seen no evidence they can take a pattern & do all the work to make it
> > sand castable. I haven't toured the whole place, so I've not seen the
> > furnace, just the casting finishing.  Wheels hubs for IH & I believe
> > White truck tractors.
>
> They are probably using match-plate patterns in a continuous line and
> won't be wanting to do one-offs.
>
> However, for any foundry using cope-and-drag there is no difference
> between making 1 and making 100, the process per casting is identical.
>
> Some possibilities here:
> http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/FoundrySources.ashx
>

> --
> atp
> "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> lunatics."
> — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1916

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee only. If you have received this message in error or there
are any problems please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorised
use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly
forbidden. This mail and any attachments have been scanned for viruses
prior to leaving the RcTechnix network. RcTechnix will not be liable for
direct, special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration
of the contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any
virus being passed on.

RcTechnix reserves the right to monitor and record e-mail messages being
sent to and from this address for the purposes of investigating or
detecting any unauthorised use of its system and ensuring effective
operation.

(c) RcTechnix