On Wednesday 17 August 2016 10:07:41 andy pugh wrote:

> On 17 August 2016 at 11:17, Sarah Armstrong
>
> <sarahj.armstron...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > but the newer
> > composite form material it's easier to form by cnc
> > and quicker than using wood and then treating the forms with resin
> > or filler and sanding etc .
>
> Yes, though not inexpensive:
> http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/patterns-moulds-and-tooling/pattern
>-making/high-density-polyurethane-foam-block.html

$20-25 for a 10cm by 30cm by 30 cm seems reasonable enough.

> I use it when I can find it in the skip at work, though:
> https://goo.gl/photos/rxtV24TFtkNS62u56
> became:
> https://goo.gl/photos/ivhb9TJeBoC45SFb6

:) I've a block of cast iron for that. Which I will mount using the OEM
bolts, with an off-center mount hole for the phase-ii, which will let me
move it around some, basically to get the maximum support and rigidity
under the tools cutting face.  The bolt pattern in the crossfeed allows
a full 360 rotation. It will keep the litte monster busy for a while as
it will be about an inch fatter than the identically thought out piece
for the little monster, and the mill too, making the centering pin hole
in the bottom, and the slots in the sides for the hold down bolts.

Question, would I, when facing the bottom, be smart to make it a
thousandth or 2 hollow ground so that the rim would have some preload,
making it more rigid?  I've done that with the piece for the little
monster, but have not yet done the drilling and tapping to finish it.

With the holddown bolt scheme on the Holbrook, about a thou convex in the
center would be the same thing effectively by preloading the bolts last
half turn to tight.

Thanks Andy.