On Thursday 25 August 2016 14:38:19 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 25 August 2016 12:55:23 Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Gene Heskett
> > <ghesk...@shentel.net>
>
> wrote:
> > > Setting up the start-stop and done settings in my gcode, I had a
> > > good pressure on it, and had cleaned the face of the chuck with
> > > acetone, s superglue should have stuck it for a non-slip grip.
> > > Peeled it loose on the third touch of the tool.
> >
> > Superglue is brittle (hard but not tough), so it probably fails from
> > tool chatter. I think you'd have a better time with Goo, contact
> > cement or carpet tape. Even 5-min epoxy should be better, and it has
> > the advantage of disassembling by heating.
>
> No tool chatter, just the nearly silent scraping sound as it just
> barely make a bit of dust.
>
> I have no clue how it will take the cutting heat, but while out
> getting a scrpt for Dee at CVS I found some double-sided, no foam,
> scotch tape that claimed to be permanent. Since there are empty jaw
> slots in the chuck, I'd bet it is removable. :)
>
> Anyway the job is started, will take about 500 minutes to run.

And the tape squirted out of the interface in about 45 minutes.  So after
feeding us I read the directions on the 3M metal glue, and applied it
after cleaning up the gooey from the tape.  But its a 24 hour cure time,
so I can't hit the r key till late tomorrow.  It looks to be a formula
similar to gorilla glue, expanding as it cures by stealing moisture from
the air.  Cream colored expansion foam where the tailstock pressure
squeezed it out.

> Looking at the backplot highly magnified, it looks as if the first few
> cuts are light, and by the time it was to make the last sweep, the cut
> would be pretty heavy, so I reduced the decrement multiplier, and then
> adding a teeny bit to it in the loop, which made the last half look
> like a pretty consistent cut.  We came in to check on my lady, &
> rebore and refill the coffee cup, and we'll go see how its doing once
> it starts to cut a visible curve.  And take my IR thermometer along to
> see how hot its getting when I go back up the hill.

Which after cutting for about 1/2 hour, before the tape failed, said 99F
in an 87F building.

> If that fails, I also bought a small tube of "metal" glue, which reads
> like it might work, but has a 24 hour under clamp cure time.
>
> Fun and games, but so far I'm not keeping score.

3 days on this, and the #@^% "fun" is wearing thin.  I can't feed too
heavy else the polygroove belt slips, but if I tighten it, then it
breaks other drive parts.  Damned if I do, and damned if I don't. If the
Sheldon was usable, this would be a 50 minute job just because I could
take a decent cut.

So I'll go cry in my last beer, and see about finishing up the slider
plate mounting strips that will mount the X motor on the Sheldon for
tomorrows project. Bearings for the x thrust container are trickling in
slowly.  No sign of the torrington cartridges that go in this same shaft
assembly yet.