A major advantage of the inductively coupled probes is that there is no need
for a battery in the probe.  Also, there is no possible interference from
other probes in the same shop (not a problem here!). The real driver for me
is that they appear to be considerably more common on the used market than
either the direct connect or the optically coupled flavours. The bad news is
that an IMM plus MI5 interface unit costs more than a probe. I don't know
what they do in the MP3 with IMM but WO 1995007521 A1 issued to Renishaw in
1995 describes a little of one system:
Power is transmitted from the interface to the probe in the form of a 60kHz
carrier. Data from the probe back to the interface is transmitted in a data
band extending from approximately 500kHz to 5MHz. Commands are transmitted
in a command band which is narrower than the data band and is centred around
a 210kHz carrier.

I have no idea if this is the actual scheme used with the MP3.