You can choose to any of several libraries.   I have an ARM M3 right
now using the Arduino IDE.   Can't get much simpler than that.
Another one, an M4 here is being programmed using "mbed" library
because I need to do something more complex that needs an RTOS but
mbed is also very simple, certainly no call backs.

But some times dynamic switching is required.  I had a motor driver
chip that has a pin that is normally an enable input but if a fault
occurs it switches direction.   the uP has to dynamically reconfigure
a pin to read this. Also some serial busses are bidirectional

That said, I think in 2016 programmers are used to using call back
style programming because we have been writing GIUs that have to
handle mouse events for so long.

Point is that you can use this or something else if you are the one
writing the code.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 9:38 PM, Nicklas Karlsson
<nicklas.karlsso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> TheCortex M is more like the Arduino then Pi.  The M rarely runs an
>> operating system and the software burned into flash and from an end
>> user's level the software never change.   You see the Arm Cortex M
>> inside things like inkjet printers and microwave ovens and the like.
>
> The librarys supplied from the manufacturers have a problem here, they
> assumme everything change dynamically while in reality it does not. Software
> could be made simpler by not using there software libraries. A good example
> is with there drivers callback functions are registered dynamically and if
> this is done once during startup software will become simpler by just adding
> the function calls to the interrupt handler, with this method it is simple to
> analyse what functions will be called.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California