On 10/13/16, Erik Friesen <e...@aercon.net> wrote:
> To clarify my question, I am trying to understand at what level lcnc
> accesses hardware peripherals.  For example, suppose I build a board with
> an spi dac peripheral to the arm, as well as write the kernel driver, if
> necessary.  What type of glue do I need to provide in this situation?
Fear off the is an ARM Cortex A and also a Cortex M.   The "A" type is
what is inside your phone and what powers the Rasberry Piand Beagle
Bone.  These typically run a UNIX-like OS.   Either Linux or in the
case of Apple actually UNIX.   They are not much different from the
the PC based Linux systems we all know about.

The trend is to have very simple and general kernel level device
drives that do little more than moderate access to the hardware.  Then
there is a user space library that handles protocol    The prime
example is USB hardware.   This is the same on Linux ARM and Linus PC.

The ARM does have a LOT more peripheral hardware built-in and the
details expand on the chip. They are all different.

TheCortex M is more like the Arduino then Pi.  The M rarely runs an
operating system and the software burned into flash and from an end
user's level the software never change.   You see the Arm Cortex M
inside things like inkjet printers and microwave ovens and the like.

For sophisticated motion control you really need both. (my internet is
in robots, no as much CNC) One to run an OS and drive a user interface
and screen and talk over a network and so on.  and a smaller processor
to make I/O lines go up and down and drive motors and read encoders.
 In LinuxCNC we sometimes have two processors a PC and a Mesa card.
On an ARM based CNC, I think you'd see an "A" type perhaps it is a
Raspberry Pi or perhaps it is an iPhone app.  Then you'd have "M"
types physically driving the hardware.

The A types ARMs will act pretty much like PCs to an end user or
casual programmer and the "M" typically uses a library that "hides"
the fact that ll the chips are different.   I can simply read "analog
pin 1" and don't need to know the details.  This means my code runs on
many different ARMs with no or little change.  In the Cortex M there
is no "driver" level there is only user space. (or we can claim that
it is all driver and there is no user.)

I currently have serval small "M" type in my desk in the space between
the keyboard and my monitor that I am typing o program.  They are
cheap as dirt, like $4 and less but I can easy keep upgrading an
encoder with 64 pulses per rev that issuing 12,000 RPM.   I can run
four PID loops for four motors and if I know more about control theory
if would not oscillate.  But an"M" is cheap enough and small enough
and uses such little amount of power that I can use one for each

One could use an FPGA (like Mesa) but the ARM cortex M is now so darn
fast and cheap and VERY easy to program that I'd use that.  Just for
scale, if my motor runs at 12,000 rpm  the "M" chips I have can
execute as many as 500,000 instructions for each revolution of the

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California