On Sunday 16 October 2016 09:59:08 MC Cason wrote:

> Gene,
>
>    *snip again*
>
> On 10/16/2016 08:09 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 October 2016 08:50:35 MC Cason wrote:
> >> I really like their belt calculator, but their shipping charges are
> >> excessive.  I usually find the correct belt size, and then go and
> >> find them on Ebay, or Amazon.
> >>
> >>     Finding XL belts are fairly simple.  The part # for a gates
> >> belt goes like this:
> >>        (Length to 3 places, without decimal)XL(width to 3 places,
> >> without decimal).  The length for a XL belt is teeth x 2.  A 79
> >> tooth belt is 15.8" long.
> >>
> >>     Assuming a 1/4" wide 79 tooth belt, the part # would be
> >> 158XL025: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111964143707
> >
> > My pulleys are all either 10mm wide, or 3/8ths. Essentially Mox
> > Nixs. :)
>
>    158LX037 - www.ebay.com/itm/111964018919
>
> > Probably not today, but before I put power on that motor, I'll make
> > the taperlock I described.  Set screws just don't cut it IMO.
>
>    Have you tried spot drilling the shaft where the setscrews go?  I
> have done that a few times.
>
>    I was going to respond to your other post, but I'll respond here...
>
>    I have used aluminum pulleys in industry for years, without
> problems.  Worrying about whether the aluminum is going to cold flow
> in the next decade is fairly useless.  If the hub is thick enough to
> withstand the stress from the initial tightening, it will last a long
> time.  Worrying about a galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals is
> equally useless.  Unless your shop stays saturated in water, I
> wouldn't worry about it.  You did say that you keep your shop shirt
> sleeve comfortable.
>
>    I live 1 mile from the Mississippi river, and 100 feet from a lake,
> which means that the humidity here stays high.  Everything rusts FAST!
> I DO have problems with galvanic reactions, but it's on the order of
> years, not months.

Good to hear, all of it. I'd maybe flat the shaft, but those setscrews
aren't either big enough, nor long enough to not work loose, junking the
holes in the pulley.  If I flat or drill the stub, I'll replace the
screws with much longer socket head cap screws.  That is a thought, and
may outlast me...  And its at least a days fooling with TLM to do it. I
think I'm convinced. ;-)

Again, Thank you very much MC Cason.