> Sounds like its the -H I'd want too. More conserving of horizontal real
> estate.  And while I'm not going to add yet another potential loose
> connection to the home switch setup, these bobs I have have such poor
> terminals that I will cobble up a distribution point for all the stuff
> that needs 5 volts. 2 bobs and 2 points on the opto so far as 5 volt
> loads. As for home/limits, these cheap bobs, intended for a Mach system,
> already have pullups so all they'll have to do is pull to ground with a
> microswitch.
>
> Thanks Danny, for calling that board to my attention.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
Some FYI-

Mesa cards use a 3.3v FPGA, but you can enable a bidirectional bus
switch which can convert to "mostly" 5v IO, but it's not a true 5v.

Also ALL IO has pullup resistors on the Mesa, which only have an effect
as inputs.  Outputs are not open-collector, they're driven, but a bus
switch's driven "high" is less than the 5v Vdd.

This worked quite well for me.  The AM882H has 5v opto-isolated IO, with
integral resistors (so it's gotta be 5v to generate specified opto drive
current), and they didn't common the anode or cathode. The
step/dir/enable I fed by tying the anodes to 5v and the cathodes to the
Mesa IO pin because drive-low is definitely 0v but drive-high isn't
quite 5v.

And the IO is just pulldown.  My board's got a  bunch of optoisolators
and their outputs are just pulldowns against the Mesa inputs' built-in
pullups- which is simple.

BTW, about "loose connectors"-  this ferrule stuff CHANGED MY LIFE on
clamp-down-on-stranded-wire:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-AWG10-Insulated-Ferrule-Terminal/dp/B00UBUR6E2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1477283614&sr=8-6&keywords=ferrule

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Adjusting-Ratcheting-Crimping-AWG23-10/dp/B00HPRYIL8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1477283614&sr=8-5&keywords=ferrule&th=1

Seriously, it's amazing.  I learned not to trust stranded-on-clamps.
Strands fray and short, they break, they work out strand-by-strand.  And
having to rework it damages the wire. I've tinned stranded wire in the
past, only to have it get loose later and wires fell out, and Googled
this- most people say "never tin, it's too soft and gets loose and your
wire falls out".  Oh. Kay.

This stuff is cheap and quick, it makes a 100% solid strain-relieved
bond.  Phoenix connectors hold them easily and they never let go.

Use that 4-jaw tool, NOT the 6, if they're going in clamp connectors.
Only 2 surfaces get used, so square maximizes the surface area that gets
used.

I showed this stuff to my hacker buds and they were all "OMG where has
this been all my life???"

Danny