On Friday 03 February 2017 08:40:43 andy pugh wrote:

> On 3 February 2017 at 13:25, TJoseph Powderly <tjt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > until
> > i read the price... 62Euro!?
>
> Stolen from someone else's web site:
>
> "A terrifying ordeal
>
> Much as one might try (and I did!), it is virtually impossible to cut
> a thread in Ti using a tap.
>
> This led to several problems with the M2X0.4 bolt threads in the rods.
> I don’t have a an M2X0.4 threadmill, there hasn’t been one on EBay in
> over 2 years, they cost about 130 quid new, the shank is so bloody
> thin it looks like it would break as soon as it touched anything and
> .... the FP2 won’t do helical interpolation in the Y axis / horizontal
> spindle. I had to bite the bullet and order a threadmill from Isacr in
> the end. I then had to sit down and write a section in the post
> processor to take care if the helical interpolation in different tool
> planes. To see that tiny cutter disappearing up a 1.6mm hole for the
> first time was indeed a terrifying ordeal!"

I can well imagine, I had goosebumps the first time I stuck an 0-80
conventional tap into the hole,  The hole was in A2, but was in OOTB
condition. Having 3 holes to tap at the time, I ordered 3 taps. I did
manage to break one with some stupid code later, but have since tapped
at least 20 more holes in mild steel, and probably 100 or more in
micarta.  And still have 2 taps left. :)