If you have to use on chip peripherals such as DMA, ADC, or PWM you very
much have to "learn a chip" (some are part of the core, some are part of
the silicon manufacturer implementation.)  An Arduino OS will sield you
from much of that but if doing more bare metal implementation or even
running a commercial RTOS its very necessary.