On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:22:38 +1100
Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> On 24.02.17 15:18, Stephen Dubovsky wrote:
> > If you have to use on chip peripherals such as DMA, ADC, or PWM you very
> > much have to "learn a chip" (some are part of the core, some are part of
> > the silicon manufacturer implementation.)  An Arduino OS will sield you
> > from much of that but if doing more bare metal implementation or even
> > running a commercial RTOS its very necessary.
>
> +1
>
> Once I've built familiarity with a chip family's peripherals, and a
> debugged library of routines to use them, then it is just dufus to rock
> up with "My cpu core is sexier than yours." They all execute code
> reliably, so the core is quite irrelevant. Yep, some cores are faster
> than others, but how flaming fast do you need to detect sunrise and
> sunset, and measure battery voltage?

There is a difference if nested interrupts with priority is available otherwise
CPU rarely make any practical difference then programming although available
execution power may be a limitation.

Peripherals may make a difference but it is usually not to hard to move code to
another device with different peripherals.