On Monday 06 March 2017 18:23:35 Ben Potter wrote:

> > From: Gene Heskett [mailto:ghesk...@shentel.net]
> >
> > I bought what I thought were 3 momentary contact spst pushbutton at
> > the Bridgeport shack Saturday. I opened the plastic bag to measure
> > them and machine the holes in the apron to hold them Saturday night.
> >
> > Putting the thing back together slowly today, I wondered if my dvm
> > could show me which end was which on the led in the button but at
> > 1.7 volts, no, so I moved the probes to check the switch, pushed it
> > once, goes to zero ohms and stays there until I push it again!  No
> > place on the bag does it
>
> say
>
> > alternate action. And I don't care how gently you push it, no hint
> > of an alternate action can be felt.
> >
> > And fleabay is no help, all are wrong mounting, everthing is nuts on
> > the backside of the panel, without a long enough of a thread to work
> > in a
>
> panel
>
> > that despite the front being countersunk 5mm's, is still 8+mm's
> > thick.
>
> Ditto
>
> > digikey, Newark-Element14, and Mouser. And no one makes it easy to
> > spec the desired diameter and mount. Somebody, and it sure isn't
> > going to be
>
> me,
>
> > could spend weeks finding a front of the panel, pushes into a 12mm
> > hole to mount momentary contact switch.
>
> Apem do an IL series that is fairly long - I think the max is about
> 10mm panel thickness.
>
> http://www.apem.com/files/apem/brochures/switch-pushbutton-IL-ENG.pdf
>
> Digikey seem to have at least some of the range in stock.

Some but no mount options so you have to look thru the pdf's to see what
size they are.  After about 30 of them this afternoon I was getting
crosseyed.

> If you can go up to 15 or 22mm diameter there are a whole bunch more
> options.

15mm could be arranged, thats what the counterbore is now.  But any of
those is another trip to the mills table with the clean up apron
to "make them fit". So if I do anything, it may well be making my own
from microswitches. I can most certainly do that quicker than I can get
something from China by China Post. And have something that will outlast
me.