Today almost all user controls are "tactile switches" they are kind of like
micro switches that are soldered to a PCB and then there is a larger piece
of plastic that the user presses.  All consumer electronics is made this
way, car radios, TV sets, computers even cell phones.    They come in
different sizes but even the "large" ones are tiny

Here is an example
https://www.amazon.com/microtivity-IM206-6x6x6mm-Tact-Switch/dp/B004RXKWI6

They use these, I think because no one today would design a product they
requires hand soldering, The "tact switch" can be surface mounted and
soldered  in a reflow oven.

All I've seen are momentary contact and if a toggle is needed to do that in
the software that monitors the switch.

A few months ago, knowing I wanted to make a pendent controller I bought a
bunch of different momentary connect push buttons from different eBay
vendors.   The only way to find out if they are any good is to buy them.
So I bought from a half dozen different vendors

BTW I thought all of the Radio Shack stored were closed and the company was
gone.   I guess not yet.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> I bought what I thought were 3 momentary contact spst pushbutton at the
> Bridgeport shack Saturday. I opened the plastic bag to measure them and
> machine the holes in the apron to hold them Saturday night.
>
> Putting the thing back together slowly today, I wondered if my dvm could
> show me which end was which on the led in the button but at 1.7 volts,
> no, so I moved the probes to check the switch, pushed it once, goes to
> zero ohms and stays there until I push it again!  No place on the bag
> does it say alternate action. And I don't care how gently you push it,
> no hint of an alternate action can be felt.
>
> And fleabay is no help, all are wrong mounting, everthing is nuts on the
> backside of the panel, without a long enough of a thread to work in a
> panel that despite the front being countersunk 5mm's, is still 8+mm's
> thick. Ditto digikey, Newark-Element14, and Mouser. And no one makes it
> easy to spec the desired diameter and mount. Somebody, and it sure isn't
> going to be me, could spend weeks finding a front of the panel, pushes
> into a 12mm hole to mount momentary contact switch. I am not about to
> sit and read 40,000 pdf's just to find out how big it is and how it
> mounts. I wouldn't mind a spring loaded to off toggle, but everything I
> tried recently needed an extra 2" on the handle to toggle it w/o cutting
> fingers on the bat handle. I've dealt with pushbutton toggles before and
> they have uniformly been a high rate of replacement items, the toggle
> gives up in <1000 pushes.
>
> Do I make brackets for minimicroswitches and machine my own buttons to
> push the rollers?
>
> The whole world is on backorder, and until its not, we are not going to
> make America Great again.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)