On 3/23/17 10:01 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 23 March 2017 at 01:23, hubert <h...@hbahr.org> wrote:
>> How are you  approaching this project?   I am assuming that you
>> are starting with a plate that will be attached to the 4th axis and
>> machining that plate to accept the cam lock studs and cam locks.  In my
>> case I can get a complete set(6 ea) of locks from my Lathe source for US
>> $36.  Are there any precautions that I should watch for when I attempt
>> this project?
> The basis of the project is a harmonic drive with integral motor and
> through-shaft.
> I have an FHA-25 size, but FHA-32 might be better.
>
> The current model drives (FHA-25C) seem to have a serially interfaced
> encoder, which looks complicated.
> The FHA-25B is a model that HD have no data on, but I found a document from
> ESO
> http://www.ls.eso.org/lasilla/support/electronics/Documentation/PDF/3P6-DSD-ESO-60400-0001.pdf
> Which gives the pinout and wire colours (if you look carefully) and
> that is a simple quadrature encoder + hall sensor setup and so rather
> easier to drive.
>
> eBay has a few of these drives, at widely differing prices, some with
> the dedicated servo amp.
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=FHA-25B&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15
>
> Mine is a FHA-25B-3015-E150C-SP
>
> I am making a pattern to make a cast-iron housing for bolting to my
> mill table, designed around a max swing of 250mm. Making extra
> castings is trivial at that point.
>
> The output face of the drive has a circle of 8 x M6 holes on a 74mm
> PCD. This is actually slightly awkward for a D1-4 spindle nose, which
> has 3 pins and tangential retainers. I could only get 3 bolts in if I
> kept the standard tangential retainers, so I am using axial retainers.
> D1-5 already has axial retainers, but also has 6 studs.
>
> I have modelled the D1-5 nose and attempted to fit the 74mm PCD holes
> in. It's not pretty. two of the holes are impossible, I think, and the
> others need to be counterbored so deep that the heads are lower than
> the D1 cams (or they have to go through them). And they eat into the
> retaining taper.
> http://a360.co/2nMOEnm should let you view the 3D-model of the D1-4.
That looks like a D1-5 to me.  As my starting point I have a 10" Rotary
table that I have fitted with small stepper.  I will use it to do form
and fit experiments.  I am contemplating either purchase of building a
Harmonic drive system.  SkyFire the builder of my mill offers a complete
ready to hook to my Mesa 7I86 8" Harmonic Drive for about $2000.  It
isn't my dream solution, but doesn't break my bank either.  I still need
to do more research into Harmonic Drives to determine what is feasible.