On 06/03/2017 12:20 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
[snip]
>> The problems seem to stop now that I have attached a bench-PSU set to
>> 5V directly on the 40-pin header's 5V input. I needed to increase the
>> voltage to 5.1V after the red LED still was blinking once in a while
>> (probably indicating too much noise on the power line with my long
>> wires without decoupling capacitor on the end).
>>
>> It may be worth checking the actual 5V line for noise too.
>
> 5mv? 4 amp box, haven't had a problem.

And you do not see any red led on the pi blink then?

If yes, then you man need to add decoupling.

[snip]
> One thing I've noted is that in one switch starts both the monitor and
> the pi, the monitor isn't ready I assume to respond to an EDID query by
> the time the pi issues it.  So I've had to pull the pi's power plug for
> about 2 or 3 seconds mid-boot. Then plug in the teeny usb plug again,
> and I get video on that reboot.
>
> Is there quick and likely dirty way to make the pi wait 2 or 3 seconds
> before loading things up?

See:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/boot.md

- bootcode_delay - seems the one you are looking for.
>From the docs: "This is particularly useful to insert a delay before
reading the EDID of the monitor, for example if the Pi and monitor are
powered from the same source, but the monitor takes longer to start up
than the Pi."

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)