On 06/03/2017 03:36 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Has anybody done an implementation of affinity in linuxcnc already? If
>> yes, how is it setup?
>
> On the x86 stuff, in years past, we used "isolcpus"=3 (or whatever was
> the last core) as a kernel argument at kernel load time.
>
> On x86 stuff the cpu you have isolated is found and used automatically,
> however the use cannot be detected by the various cpu monitoring
> utilities such as htop.  I had originally set that up to reserve core 3,
> on the 4 core pi, and on core 3 of the athlons I don't know who
> corrected me, but it was said that was no longer a useful item, so I
> took it back out of /boot/cmdline.txt and out of some of the x86
> machines too, but I see its still in as an =1 on the two atom boards out
> in the shop.  The one I removed it from hasn't indicated any unhappiness
> with that turn of events.
>
> Perhaps Sebastian or someone more familiar with it can shine a light on
> us here? As in has it been deprecated on all arches. I still have 2
> D525MW's with it in effect. And htop cannot see any usage of cpu-1 on
> either of those 2 boxes.

Yes, isolcpus=X is the way to do that. However, doing so means that the
kernel never schedules anything on the core automatically. You must set
the thread/process affinity in the running code, using a syscall, to
move a specific thread/process onto that isolated core. Otherwise, it
will be idle all the time.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)