On Thursday 10 August 2017 12:09:45 Les Newell wrote:

> I have been chasing a noise problem on my lathe for some time now. I
> am using a 7i29 2kw drive and am getting a lot of noise on the
> encoders, even with filtering enabled at a pretty low frequency. I
> have tried just about everything I can think of. I made a simple
> near-field probe and did a bit of poking around. The 20kHz drive
> switching noise was strong pretty much everywhere. After trying
> various things I found a common mode choke on each motor output
> dropped the 20kHz noise down so it was pretty much undetectable apart
> from right next to the chokes. However I am still getting noise on the
> encoders. I have a spare encoder input on a 7i33 so I moved one of the
> motor encoders to that input. I am getting zero noise on that channel
> even though I extended the encoder cable to reach the 7i33 with 6
> individual wires instead of a screened cable. Even with filtering
> disabled I see no noise. Unfortunately I don't have any more spare
> encoder inputs for the other axis.
>
> Has anyone else had noise issues with 7i29 drives?
>
> Les

I've had a heck of a time with noise when using a 7i90 interface, noise
so bad it destroyed several 7i90's by punching thru the 3.3 volt
circuitry.

Encoder outputs are fairly low frequency, and I first made a
filter/voltage snubber circuit on a per wire basis, consisting of 1
1N914 to clip the input from going more than .65 volts below ground, and
5 more facing the other way to prevent anything in excess of nominally
3.6 volts from getting to the 7i90. And I added a capacitor to 7i90
ground to slow the rise times as the noise seemed to be well above 50
MHz, and was nearly 30 volts P-P.  This made beautiful square waves out
of the encoder signals at the 7i90 inputs that were not degraded even at
a spindle speed of 1800 rpms, with a 60 tooth gear supplying the
excitation .  However that didn't seem to be adequate for the steppers
drives even when I added a 6th diode so the stepper could pull high
enough to fully turn off its opto-isolation leds.  So I broke down and
spent the $45 a copy for 3 7i42TA cards to put between the 7i90 and the
real world, and threw away my cobbled up setup. These are 50 pin header
for inputs, and do a great job.

I also bought a big alu amplifier box and moved all the control stuff to
it, getting it out of all the power electronics noise. Everything but
the local keyboard now Just Works(TM), and that keyboard problem is
inherent to the architecture of the Pi's i/o, everything has to go thru
an internal usb hub, except the gpio and video stuff.

Remote keyboards logged in work ok because they have the buffering effect
of a tcp connection that despite going thru that usb2 pinhole serves as
a handshaking buffer to interleave the traffic (the micro-sd card data
also goes thru this data pin hole), but the local keyboard has no such
buffer and keyboard events are lost at an unacceptable for machinery
rate as the keyup is missed and the machine keeps on moving the axis
last told to move.  Plays hell with editing gcode too, but there you can
see the missed keydown as it never gets that key to geany. Conversely,
the keyup is missed, so the last key typed turns into a 75 character
string before you can hit another key to stop it, then of course it will
miss the keyup for the correcting backspace, and erase 2 or more lines
of gcode before you can get its attention again.

One thing I haven't tried is to put 2 usb<->rj45 adapters, with the
rj45's facing each other, between the keyboard dongle and the usb socket
the dongle is plugged into. But the would need to be able to supply PoE
too. Enough to run the 2nd adaptor and power the keyboard dongle.

I'm sitting around, waiting to see how pine's "rock64" works, which
claims it fixes all the pi's shortcomings. It can also be had with more
memory than the pi. If it works,this could be the pi killer we've been
waiting for, running a bare path in the grass around the BBB. Shipping
since the 1st of August, reviews as yet are rather sparse.