On 08/13/2017 01:00 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
On 12.08.17 15:18, Gene Heskett wrote:
A gismo called a Capacitor Wizard, around $200 from a guy in Kansas City
does the definitive such test, measuring the equivalelent series
resistance, aka ESR, and any capacitor that reads over 2 ohms ought to
be replaced.
Like Chris, I bought a $10 kit from Banggood, same PCB & firmware
(judging by the sisplay) as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Kits-Capacitance-ESR-Inductance-Resistor-LC-Meter-Tester-NPN-PNP-Mosfet-M168-/181303499014

I put 3 clipleads on it - much more convenient than a restrictive
in-line socket. A beercan-sized electrolytic's finger-thick terminals go
into a DIL socket only with difficulty.

It's not accurate to twenty decimals, but I'm just looking for 5
milliohms or fifty - which it does with aplomb. (Leaving $190 change on
the wizard.)

Ah, here's the kit I bought:

https://www.banggood.com/86-Plastic-Shell-DIY-Meter-Tester-Kit-For-Capacitance-ESR-Inductance-p-956240.html?rmmds=search

Erik

I bought this kit a number of years ago - Blue ESR:

<http://www.flippers.com/BlueEsr.html>

Allows in-circuit and out of circuit testing of caps. Been very useful bringing old Tektronix precision measurement equipment back to life.

Mark