When peole find the Python is slow, general it is because they are
abusing Python and trying to use it as if it were C by doing things
like writing "for loops" over a list.  Then of course there is always
the Python compeer that does translate Python to C.

But, yes I do end up using C for real-time work.

The real problem is the low-end hardware.   These little ARM boards,
most often lack a powerful GPU that is needed for real-time 3D graphic
rendering.

The better GPUs will do all the heavy duty matrix algebra number
crunching on the GPU.

The GIU real does need to be running on a different process or
different computer from any real-time loops.  And you will never get
good 3D graphic performance without a GPU.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:23 AM, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:
> I have a MPG on my ELS for the lathe and a ShuttleExpress for the MACH3 on
> the CNC router.  I too wouldn't be without some sort of MPG.  Response time
> on the 40MHz PIC is instant.  I also find the ShuttlePro and keyboard
> buttons response for jogging essentially instant on MACH3.
>
> Jogging MachineKit on the BBB is a joke with the path screen displayed.  I
> don't think it should be so I'll bring this up on the MachineKit for Beagle
> forum.  There's probably a parameter somewhere that fixes it.  A single step
> button click for 0.01 move shoots the processor activity up to 100%
>
> OTOH, go to the DRO screen (no tool path) and the keyboard feels like it's
> attached to the stepper with instant jogging more like a 1.16GHz Athlon PC
> 1GB RAM that is displaying tool path.  Beagle Processor Activity bar drops
> to 50% or less.
>
> If I were to draw a conclusion I'd say the overhead of screen updating is a
> killer for the Beagle MachineKit.  I read that AXIS is written in Python.
> An pseudo real time application I did a few months ago using Python on a Pi3
> was quickly moved to C after we found the interpreted Python just couldn't
> keep up.  But again, I don't know what's happening under the covers.
>
> John

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California