So the Knoppix from the book published in 2005 wouldn't boot.  Neither would
3 of the DVDs I programmed when I was even able to program them.  What a
colossal waste of time.  Should have cleaned the DVD laser diode on my
laptop first.  Then tried to burn the disk.

Once clean, the MD5 verified iso file went onto the disk without  problem.
And it booted.  And was readable.  And unlike Windows-XP or the Raspberry
Pi, I'm seeing the same problem with that I have with the Beagle where LXDE
just can't get the screen resolution on this Samsung monitor right.

So I'll try a different monitor and maybe a non-on board video card but
LinuxCNC ran and let me choose basic parallel port configuration.

Now to find a power supply for this PC that will fit in the box.  It will be
difficult to test this with my CNC router since it's connected via
USB-Smooth Stepper to all the hardware.  And I have a ways to go yet on the
mill conversion.

But.  This motherboard does work with a more up to date Linux.  And that's a
good sign.
Thanks for the suggestions.
John