On 16 Jan 2018, at 23:16, tom-...@bgp.nu wrote:

> We are tying to cut some internal Acme threads on our lathe.   We have an
> internal Acme 8-pitch single point tool.  From the edge of the backside of
> tool to the tip of the cutting point is 0.490”.  The major diameter of our
> hole to thread is 0.506.  So, you can see there is very little clearance
> here.
>
> When we run G76 the backside of the tool slams into part when it retracts
> after the cut.  We are currently cutting (breaking is a better word) wax
> until we are confident that something good will result.
>
> This causes our tool to crash into the part when it tried to retract after
> the cut:
> G0 Z0.100
> G0 X0.248
> G76 P0.125 Z-0.750 I0.005 J0.005 K0.0725 R2.0 Q14 L0 E0.0725 H2
>
> In trying to measure things in the backplot window (not easy to do
> accurately) it appears like the tool is moving back nearly the full thread
> depth (0.075”).  In this image the distance from where the tip of the tool is
> on the first retract line up to the first cut line which is the lower edge of
> that white band is about .075”:  https://www.bgp.nu/~tom/pub/IMG_5289.jpg.
> Considering we only have ~0.010 this clearly wont work.

I have no direct experience of using G76, but this problem reminded me a little
of the retraction distance settings on peck drilling canned cycles in a milling
machine, where the program response to a retract distance in, say, the G83
command depends on whether there has been a previous G99 (retract to the R
value used in the G83) or a G98 (ignore the R and retract to the original Z
value used before the G83 was begun.

> It seems like the Drive Line is where the tool should come back to on every
> pass.  If it did it would always have clearance (assuming it had clearance to
> get in the hole in the first place).  But that is not what is happening. From
> the GCode reference of G76:
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g76

The documentation does say the tool should return to the drive line, but I
don't immediately understand the diagram, which shows a different retract after
each pass (the same your your own screen shot shows). This is either being done
as a result of a previous command like a G99 or G98, or the G76 is not doing
what it is supposed to do.
I note the connection between G76 and G33, but Gene knows more about G33.

> This is youtube video showing the tool hitting the back side on retraction,
> twice in fact before the wax snaps off:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHFyVMocpU
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHFyVMocpU>

Wax is a good idea. Must get some. I sometimes use plastic, but the wax looks
even softer.

> In typical threading the tool size, thread depth, and initial bore diameter,
> are such that this problem may not be noticeable.

Often the case, with this kind of problem.

> But with an Acme thread where the size of the tool and the depth of the
> thread (0.0725 in our case) leaves very little room for error.  So is the G76
> code broken or is there something fundamental we are misunderstanding?

This is an important cycle, so it would be good to understand what's happening
here.

Marcus
.