Of course.   Write a PID based control loop and put it an something
like an Arduino.  I've done this a few times the control the wheels of
a mobile robot.

The details depend on the interfaces to botkhthe motoring the higher
level control

As for higher level control...  Is it a human using a joystick or some
kind of automation that does the same thing repetivity  or must the
device interact with the environment some how.  Perhaps opening a for
as a person approaches.

Then I have to ask what kind of hardware driver you have.   Some
drivers do most of the work for you.  These might take a
step/direction pulse, r have an analog input.  But other drivers are
just an H-Bridge and raw encoder signals.    This is the kind of
serves I use.   I end u using a small micro controler (Arduino or
ARM-M) and relaying on a PID library.

In ant case most of your effort will be spent in the interfaces not
the actual PID control loop as that is just a few calls to a PID
library

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Marius Liebenberg
<mar...@mastercut.co.za> wrote:
> Hi all
> I have to put together a system that will use one servo to drive a small
> platform over a distance of 6m at a speed of about 25km/h or 8m/s or there
> about.
>
> I feel that using a full computer and mesa card for just one axis that does
> not need a display sounds a bit excessive. The question is what are the
> other options if any.

> Regards / Groete
>
> Marius D. Liebenberg
> +27 82 698 3251