I just looked at the PocketBeagle and it seems to be a good choice for servo or stepper. It will have to be headless so I would imagine that I will be using ladder to control the system with.

The track length is 6m, a button is pressed and I accelerate to 8m/s and stop at the other end waiting for a command to do the same in the opposite direction. Machine must home in the one axis on demand as well.

Would the ladder logic route be good enough or are there some other suggestions?

------ Original Message ------
From: "Alexander Rössler" <alexander@roessler.systems>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc: "Marius Liebenberg" <mar...@mastercut.co.za>
Sent: 2018-04-04 09:24:43
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] One servo system

Machinekit + PocketBeagle is good combo if you are looking for something
running Linux.

Chris Albertson writes:

 Of course.   Write a PID based control loop and put it an something
like an Arduino. I've done this a few times the control the wheels of
 a mobile robot.

 The details depend on the interfaces to botkhthe motoring the higher
 level control

As for higher level control... Is it a human using a joystick or some
 kind of automation that does the same thing repetivity  or must the
 device interact with the environment some how.  Perhaps opening a for
 as a person approaches.

 Then I have to ask what kind of hardware driver you have.   Some
 drivers do most of the work for you.  These might take a
 step/direction pulse, r have an analog input.  But other drivers are
 just an H-Bridge and raw encoder signals.    This is the kind of
 serves I use.   I end u using a small micro controler (Arduino or
 ARM-M) and relaying on a PID library.

 In ant case most of your effort will be spent in the interfaces not
 the actual PID control loop as that is just a few calls to a PID
 library

 On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Marius Liebenberg