On Saturday 08 September 2018 22:03:21 jeremy youngs wrote:

> Gene , can you mount a probe on the carriage and probe a lathe
> alignment bar ( or drill rod )?

I don't have a probe per sei on it. What I'm doing is sticking a mag base
to the top of the toolpost holder base that has replaced the mangled
compound, with atm a dial indicator riding a 21" bar of .500 diameter A2
rod. Theres a thou or so wobble right at the er40 adapter, and the
center dimple on the other end is off center about 2 thou riding a live
center in the tailstock barrel. The A2 is slightly bent so I get about a
10 thou wobble in the middle of it, but with the spindle turning, the
true center is easily seen. I have used the lathes x motor to try and
straighten it better, but by the time I  get enough bow in it to make a
diff, the rod shortens and pops the end off the live center.

I would do it according to demagnetizeing rules by pushing it far enough
to bent it back, with the spindle turning, and once I have evidence that
I am actually bending it, the let it run while I slowly back off the
push, which should make it run pretty true. But w/o a socket instead of
a center in the tailstock, I can't get up enough pressure to actually
bend it straight. A half inch of A2 20+ inches long is still pretty
strong stuff.

I should buy another 36" piece of 3/4" A2 which would obviously be
stiffer. But I wouldn't wager it would be straighter. So I'd still have
to deal with the wobble. And that much A2 isn't cheap.

Setting up a contact probe would trigger on the peaks of the wobble, and
that measurement would be meaningless w/o knowing the p-p wobble at each
probed point. I can get that accurate with a dial. I think...

>From what I have observed so far, I think the huge majority of what I
need to correct is in the first 8" from the spindle, the rest looks like
a fairly straight line, IF the tailstock is on center. The major error
once the sled is pulled to center, is vertical. 50 thou off at least.

Thanks Jeremy.