> On 2018-Sep-10, at 18:02, Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com
> <mailto:albertson.ch...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> You can actually make good measurements with a larger spot.  This assumes
> you are using software and not just eyeball estimates.   Typically you can
> do about 1/10th pixels position estimates.    With micro-meter scale pixels
> this become way-overkill for machine work.  I would not bother to do more
> then roughly align the laser.
>
> Yes you need a sensor.  A $10 webcam with the lens replaced by a welding
> glass filter would work but you'd need to experiment with different filter
> and laser power.

Alternately you could use a quad optical diode array and read the currents
through the four diodes:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/414/OPR5911_RevD-1145186.pdf
<https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/414/OPR5911_RevD-1145186.pdf>

Years ago I built a rig to measure the spacing of dots on a slide using a HeNe
laser and an optical diode array like that and was able to get sub-micron
precision doing so.