No,  the Software in Merlin is probing the bed using a grid pattern and
modeling the bed's actual shape.. Iet to choose how dense is the sampling
grid.   I have a capacitive sensor but I'm going to hav e to change to a
contact switch because I'm also changing the bad from aluminum to
borosilicate glass

On a lathe I think the hard part is finding a straight reference for X and
Y.  A laser beam would be a VERY straight line

What if there was a 1mm diameter laser beam that shoots through the hole in
the spindle?   Then you mount a camera on the tool post and move the tool
post.  If the lathe is not 100% perfect the laser spot will move relative
to the camera sensor's CCD image sensor.     The camera needs to be more
like a microscope then wide angle webcam.   But you can buy a USB interface
microscope now for under $20.  Mount one of those to the tool post.

As for the laser, I actually own one that would work and I've actualy used
it on my lathe.  It has designed for gun owners.  It is the same size as a
.38 round and the idea is you can chamber the laser in the gun and then a
green laser beam shines down the barrel and you can use it to align a
gunsight.   It is powered by a tiny battery.     You can make an adaptor to
allow you to "chamber" the round in the spindle hole.

If you mount some ultra-fine graph paper on the tool post and look really
carefully in theory you can see how the bed moves in X and Y vs. in Z.
But there are to practical issues
1) It is really hard to see such small movements.   I literally need a
microscope to see.   I do have a micrometer grid target.  Youcam buy them
in eBay for $13 and yes you need a good microscope to see uM size grid
lines.  The lines are laser etched on glass.   $13 is not much    It
intended use is for measuring "stuff" you see in a biological microscope.
 "How long is that bacterial?"

2) the cheap laser-bullet thing is not well made.  It is good enough fo
make a gun owner happy but not a machinist who cares about "thousandths" in
other words the runout is horrible.  But you work around this  DOn't bother
to align it. The laser will tract a donut shape on a fixed target.  and
this is good enough because yo know the exact centerline is in the center
of the donut hole.    And actually you WANT a donut and not a dot because
with more pixels you get less noise.   The "centroid" is what you are
looking to find.   You can find the center to about 1/10th of a grid line.

No not bother to make the mechanics perfect.  It is easier to just get
"close" and then measure the imperfection.  expect runout and that the
spinning laser will trace out a donut.

Of course you are not actual looking at a laser dot in practice you are
photographing the dot and using software to find the actual centerline.
You use the laser etched grprid only once to calibrate the camera/optics.

Lasers are like cheating when it comes to measurement and alignments.   I
used on two years ago or the first time to make a block wall.   Never again
will I use a mason's line.  lasers don't sag or blow in the wind and even a
rank amateur like be can set blocks to near perfect plumber and level

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California