Well I've been reading the 2.8 Master branch manual about homing and how to
configure two joints for one axis and I think I understand but since I
don't have a Linux PC here to try it out I would like to clarify something.

In the two motors for one axis gantry configuration, does LinuxCNC export
home switch pins for each joint? Or does it export the pins for each axis?

Because the best solution I came out with to have a precise homing without
rocking (and I think is doable) is to have one homeswitch per joint with a
robust mechanism to manually adjust them as precise as possible. And then
use absolute encoders on the pinions to achieve the maximum accuracy level.
This way I can guarantee that if there is some difference from time to time
when hitting the home switches, that won't be a problem since the absolute
enconders keep the exact angular position of the pinion. Am I right on
this? Or is this just a redundancy?

Sorry for the long questions but I've never really worked with this kind of
setup, and I'm used to have both the switch and some encoder reference to
make the homing.

Thank you!