The idea of using belts, and gearboxes, and rack and pinions, sounds like a
bad recipe.

While I did suggest a bar across the gantry, the problem is that you're
carrying all those gears, and the motor.
I drew a quick concept sketch of how I would do it. Buy cut-to-length belt,
probably HTD M5  x  30mm wide for your application.

I think this would be quite adequate for a wood router. At the far end of
the table, connect the two idler pulleys with a shaft too. Obviously all
the pulleys and motors will be below the table height.

And;
- motor is no longer on the gantry
- no skew can happen
- easy to get your drive ratio