On Friday 01 February 2019 20:23:07 Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 20:13:54 -0500
> > From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] For PCW

> >> Yes, the 7I76(D)s analog spindle control is an isolated
> >> potentiometer replacement device so needs an external 10 or 12V
> >> power source (15V ABS MAX) normally this comes from a VFD
> >
> > ok, but then how do I enable a path from the 12 volts being fed to
> > ena+ to ena-. ditto 5 volts to dir+, which should from what I'm
> > reading, send 5 volts to the dir- terminal. The two supplies are
> > separate, sharing a negative common with +12 volts on ena+ but
> > nothing, well 60mv maybe on either dir- or ena-. The
> > pwmgen.0.0.value is 3.1 and growing very slowly, identical to
> > pwmgen.0.1.value, and I can see the pwm with the lalscope at either
> > output. But I've no clue how to verify its getting to the spindle
> > i/o other than looking at the right gpio pins on the 5i25. so
> > obviously I do not know what I'm doing
>
> The 7I76 dir and enable outputs are Darlington opto-coupler transistor
> outputs (+ = C and - = E) They may have as much as 1.5V drop when on
> but thats it. They are rated 50 mA max so be careful you do not turn
> them on into a shorted load (they will be stuck on if wired backwards)

But they are not coming on, regardless of the logic state of spinena or
spindir at the hal inputs.

They've never had a load, I'm just measureing with a DVM at the -
terminals. There is +5.12 on dir+, and +12.2 on ena+ but no change is
see on either matching - terminal, which should be feeding the pico
pwmservo amp to enable it, or reverse it.

In the hal file, the two pwmgens are driving identical pwm's on THE 5I25
gpio'S 9 and 26, while identical dirs are on THE 5I25 gpio'S  8 & 25 and
I can see the pwm's and dirs change with a halscope while clicking on
the axis spindle stuff.

>From the g0704's hal file, the spinena chain looks like this:
net spindle-enable <=  spindle.0.on => boot.spindle.enable
net spindle-enable => and_pid_s_en.in0
net spindle-enable => hm2_5i25.0.pwmgen.00.enable
net spindle-enable => hm2_5i25.0.pwmgen.01.enable
net spindle-enable => hm2)5i25.0.pwmgen.00.enable
net spindle-enable => hm2_5i24.0.7i76.0.0.spinena

The spindir chain looks like this:
net  spindle-ccw <= spindle.0.reverse
net  spindle-ccw => sample_dirchg.hold
net  spindle-ccw =>hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spindir

both chains can be seen to be doing correctly on a halmeter as spindle
commands are executed by whatever means including spinena and spindir,
but the ENA and DIR outputs remain off as seen at ENA- and at DIR- ON
TB4 7 AND 5.

What am I missing?

Thanks Peter.