On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 3:23 AM Nicklas Karlsson
<nicklas.karlsso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Which boot loader? I got my ST-Link dongle to load a couple of
> > bootloader files but neither seemed to work.

Do you mean that the boot loader loaded but did not run, maybe have a
bug or that you could not load the bootloader?

There is a learning curve.  On the "blue pill" you must move the
shoring block on the boot pins to program the device and then move the
pins to boot the boot loader.   Itis easy to get this backward and the
shorting block are way to m=samll for by fingers.   During development
when you are re-programming this every 5 minutes make toggle switch
cable to speed things up.

If programming and booting don't work, likey the shorting blocks are
on the wrong pins.    If you have a real Arduino there is a separate.
the second processor on the board to the boot stuff automatically.
but for $2.50 you have to move the shoring blocks with tweezers.

A better entry into STM32 programming is with an STM"Nucleo" board.
STM sells these for about $13 via US based resellers like Digikey or
Mouser.  So there is no need to deal with Chinese eBaers and wait a
month.

 The Nucleo board makes programming and booting trivially simple.
The board loks like the USB "thumb drive" to the OS so you can drag
and drop the binary file onto the processor.   This works the same on
Linux, Mac and Windows.    The Nucleao has a built-in ST-Link dongle
with a special mode to make it look like a USB storage device.

Later, move to the bare chip "Blue Pill" if you like but I'd not start
there until gaining experience

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California