On Wednesday 13 March 2019 18:55:15 andy pugh wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 22:29, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > Since I've never put a home switch on a rotary,
>
> Neither have I. It isn't often necessary. If I had something  without
> rotational symmetry I would probably use a spirit level on the part...
>
> When I have considered doing it I have thought in terms of a
> semi-circular track and an opto-sensor. (so it never takes more than
> 180 degrees to home)

In other words, a grey scale with enough opto's it knows where it is w/o
moving at all. That would take at least a 10 track code strip.  Nice,
and speedy on the factory floor but I can turn this a full turn in less
than 2 secs, so thats expensive over kill for me. I'm inclined to put a
bigger motor and a smaller pulley just to get the holding power if use
says I need it. Both the z motor and this rotary look awful puny. But
use will tell that tale.  One thing I haven't looked around for yet is a
small CBN wheel, which with the rotary, would make a heck of a lathe
tool sharpener. The only CBN I have now works moderately well in the
G0704, but 3 grand is a little slow for a 5" cup, so it does a decent
job, but slow, like watching grass grow. A 2.5 to 3", at 24 grand, ought
to do that job both fast and well.

Just thinking ahead, the horses are far behind the cart just yet.

Changing the subject, I got the counter today, nice pocket sized new
unit, laid a mylar bag of starkist tuna on it, raised the background 2 a
minute, maybe.  Thats a genuine never mind. No banana's on hand so
haven't checked any of them yet.