On Wednesday 13 March 2019 20:28:43 andy pugh wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 23:45, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > > When I have considered doing it I have thought in terms of a
> > > semi-circular track and an opto-sensor. (so it never takes more
> > > than 180 degrees to home)
> >
> > In other words, a grey scale with enough opto's it knows where it is
> > w/o moving at all.
>
> No, a single sensor and a 180 degree target.
Ahh, white turn one way, black the other. But once the boundary is
encountered, do a fixed edge sequence so it always hits the stop from
the same direction. That would also lend itself handily to an accurate
scale determination which is another problem. I like that. I have the
scale calibration in hal code, used for calibrating the spindle scale on
the g0704 when I put an encoder on the rear of the motor, but left the
index on the spindle.  So the scale is about 7000 in high gear, and
about 14000 in low. I can use plumb ridiculous Pgains, and speed is very
very stiff. What did you make the target out of so it didn't wear
mechanically screwing up the opticals?