On Friday 15 March 2019 17:46:43 Bruce Layne wrote:

> > How about using a radiator like
> > https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Radiator-Water-Cooling-Cooler/dp/B07
> >9D HJ91F/ which is intended to cool CPUs? It comes with mountings for
> > three 120mm muffin fans.
>
> I have a similar radiator for the laser, but the 80W laser produces
> approximately 800W of waste heat and I wanted to be able to use it all
> day.
>
> I think a radiator is needless expense and complexity for a small
> spindle motor.  I have the 2.2 KW spindle on the larger CNC router and
> the coolant starts to become slightly warm after running it constantly
> for several hours.  Given that the heat transfer rate out of the
> coolant tank increases as the coolant temperature increases, I doubt I
> could overheat the coolant system running it nonstop, even with a high
> temperature ambient environment.  The spindle motor is probably too
> efficient for that to happen.  If I wanted to run it full time and
> cooling did become an issue, I'd probably add a second five gallon cat
> litter bucket cooling tank (free) and another 4 gallons of RV
> antifreeze (US$10).  If space was at a premium, I still wouldn't be
> tempted to use even the smaller single 120mm fan radiator to avoid
> adding more series plumbed coolant tanks.  I'd be concerned about
> leaks and galvanic corrosion and a fan failure.  I'd just get a 50
> foot length of tubing and toss the coil on top of the machine
> enclosure to make a passive radiator.  The thermal conductivity of
> plastic tubing is lousy, but it's easy and cheap to compensate with a
> lot of surface area, and I like the simplicity - just a longer piece
> of the tubing I'd already be using with no welded aluminum radiator,
> no fan, and nothing to leak or break.
>
> I wired my coolant pump into the machine power.  The low power pump
> runs as long as the machine is powered.  That seemed inherently safer
> and a lot easier than having the pump under software control.

The only thing wrong with that, and its a personal choice, is that w/o
power, the computer is dead also. I prefer to leave the computers on
full time, and have them, if its feasible, control the rest of the
machines power.  My Sheldon, when I walk away, has only the pi and mesa
cards powered up. So if I have work for it, I can log in from this
comfortable chair, at least write the outline of what I want to do the
next day. The lathe known as TLM is similar but the machine power isn't
switched by the computer, I have to go flip the strip switch to power it
up.  One 40 amp ssr would fix that, I just have to find that missing
round tuit. I even kill the monitor there, but I could let dpms handle
that like I do on the pi.  But the pi's monitor is fairly new led model,
draws 11 watts running, maybe 3 when you think its off. TLM's monitor is
an old old del 15", a 4x3 with ccfl backlight and I don't think it knows
about dpms.  At least a decade old, I picked it up at a yard sale out in
the back country at least a decade back, $20 bill at the time. I put a
sheet of lexan over the front, put it right behind TLM about 10" and the
hot chips have about destroyed the lexan, but the screen under the lexan
is as clear as ever.