On Monday 18 March 2019 05:34:31 Peter Blodow wrote:

> Sorry, error: of course, gassingĀ  d e creases capacity and increases
> resistance of lead cells!
> Peter
>
> Am 18.03.2019 um 10:19 schrieb Peter Blodow:
> > Nicklas, as soon as a lead-acid battery bubbles, it's losing water
> > and the plates cover with lead sulphate, increasing capacity and
> > intrinsic resistance. No, no.
> > I got myself a handful of cheap 74N137 stabilizers. These are made
> > espacially by Motorola to maintain a constant charging voltage of
> > 13.7 V which is the exact limit before the gassing occurs.

This should be adjusted for battery ambient temp. At -25F, and after
starting big American V8's, they can go as high as 17 volts. That 13.7
is at the usual test temp of 27C. Run it on up to nearly 200F on a hot
day its just covered 20 miles in traffic and it drops another 3/4ths of
a volt. That special regulator I built had 5 si diodes in series as part
of its reference voltage to furnish the needed negative comp to the temp
curve. Some of the 1950's mechanicals had that much in their springs,
but I've not noted a modern factory regulator having that much
compensation, probably because it made the batteries last too long.

The worst thing thats happened to te life of a LA battery in the last 50
years has been the incorporation of the regulator into the alternator,
adding the resistance of the cable which softens the curve a lot, and
the relatively quick heating of the alternator.  Way faster than the
battery. Late vehicles are doing good to get 4 years out of a battery.
The wife's 2007 toy RAV4 is on its 4th battery now, and I don't believe
the acid has ever gotten up to 1.26 SG even after a 600 mile trip to FL,
or a 435 mile trip to NY from here. She has kin in both places she'll
never see again unless they come to us.

> > The
> > current they deliver is limited to 1 A. I placed them inside the
> > housing of several 12 V DC wall warts together with a small
> > electrolytic capacitor. The transformers of these little power
> > supplies give more than 15 V AC so there is enough headroom for
> > regulating.
> > Using those chargers the batteries of my vehicles are kept in
> > perfect shape all winter and in summer, too, when the tractor is not
> > in use. I have been using them for years now.
> > Peter

They sell them as maintenance chargers, typically 2 amp. I have several
plugged in right now, including the one on the boat battery.  And since
the toy isn't moving very often, I have one on it just to keep the
computer alive. Without it, the battery is dead and terminally sulfated
in 2 weeks.  Works great on the rider too.