On Sunday 31 March 2019 22:20:38 John Dammeyer wrote:

> > Would you like to compare birthdays John? I've had 84 of them
> > things. ;-)
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I have a few years to go but for some reason still feeling growly.
> Went looking for some tintable alkyd enamel paint today to match the
> mill so I could paint the CNC cabinet.  What a wasted day.  No one
> carries this anymore.  All water based.
>
> Trouble is the frame already has oil based primer so I can't really
> put water based anything on it until it's totally dry.  Have to try an
> autobody supply store tomorrow.
>
> So then I started installing all the electronics onto the frame and
> dropped the 24 volt supply.  Probably still works.  But now with 20-20
> hind sight I don't think the way I'm installing it will make it easy
> to service (replace).
>
> Time for a beer.

I've had my one near beer for the day, I was found diabetic about 25
years back, so now I take a couple grams of metformin daily.

And I can testify that hind sight is a lot better than 20-20. Old age, it
creeps up on you in very stealthy moccasins.  And its a good idea to
never look back, something might be gaining on you.

And yes that supply s/b installed so it can be swapped out for a fresh
one easily, the capacitors WILL die, sometimes a horribly messy death.
Least dependable part in any system. We need to invent something more
dependable for use as a large capacitance, but alu foil, kraft paper,
and a cc or less of technical grade ethylene glycol is 100 years later,
still the cheapest farad you can buy by several magnitudes. I'm also a
Certified Electronics Technician, now long since retired after spending
nearly 50 years keeping some tv station on the air.

Its been quite a ride since I fixed my first tv in 1948, at 14 years old.
Yup, I was a geek before the word was invented. But now I've had a
couple health accidents that have slowed the thinker a bit. Most
recently a pacemaker, I was getting dizzy in between heartbeats.
Figured I had better get that fixed as I have a fading wife to care for.

Take care John.